Sunday 13 December 2009

Come on in!


Perhaps it was the imminence of my 46th birthday that prompted me to pause by the entrance of a local graveyard the other night to capture this delightfully cheery image. There's something about the circle being broken by the open gate and the blackness beyond that really grabbed me - rather to the bemusement of the several passing pedestrians who peered past me to try and figure out what I was looking at.

For someone who's spent so much time over the past decade thinking about death (long story - perhaps for another day) I dwell on it remarkably rarely when it comes to any kind of creative outlet. I don't read about it, I don't write about it and I don't usually take photos inspired by it. Perhaps that's because I'm scared of it and, like the small child who will cover their face when found doing something naughty so they won't be seen, I'm hoping that it will leave me alone if I leave it alone.

No comments: