Saturday 22 May 2010

Formidable festival lady


I went to the St Anne's Well Festival today, a civilised riot of middle-class families pretending they're a bit younger and freer than they really are. You couldn't see the well-manicured lawns for all the tartan picnic rugs and changing mats everywhere. There was cava, there was knitted fruit (I kid you not), there was even a kids' rave tent, complete with nodding DJ and Joe Bananas-style tent next door selling Haribos and sugary drinks by the gallon. The sun shone and the mums and dads kicked back, happy to let the kids run amok for a bit in the hope of a peaceful night later. When this rather formidable lady walked past us I grabbed the camera and shot her without thinking - which is most unlike me actually, I'm usually consumed with self-conscious reserve. I'm glad I got her though - and I'm even more glad she didn't see me getting her.

No comments: