Tuesday 4 August 2009

Just dessert


This is a turning point dessert. It's a decent sized bowl full of chocolate brownies covered in hot chocolate sauce and rich chocolate ice cream, with a desultory raspberry on top that seems to be laughing in the face of healthy eating. I ate this at lunchtime yesterday. I ate it quickly and without guilt. I knew it was wrong but I ate it anyway. "Today is the first day of the rest of my life", I said to myself (rather pleased with my originality). "If you're not allowed to eat something like this today then when are you?" I didn't take much persuading.

And yet ever since I licked the last little smudge from the least accessible corner of the bowl I've been feeling slightly sick. At first I thought it was just a momentary blip -- my body issuing a well-intentioned warning not to consume desserts like this too often. But then I went for a walk, then a bike ride, then I ate again, then I slept. And still I felt a little sick now, more than 30 hours later. I hope I'm not coming down with some bug. But then I also hope I won't be affected like this every time I decide to push the gastronomic boat out a little. I think that would be even worse.

1 comment:

nigeyb said...

Ah, there, you see what happens? I could have told you that it would all end in tears. Your body is a finely tuned instrument and a massive surge of sugary sweetness will send it into a tail spin. A schoolboy error Sir. I hope you will be adhering to healthy eating principles at The Big Chill. I can send you a pamphlet if it would help.