Thursday 23 April 2009

Am I a Leatherhead?


When I was at university I met a chap called Mike 'Jobey' Johnson, whose main claim to fame was that he'd played drums in a band, some of the members of which went on to play with The Housemartins. It was Mike who told me that Norman 'Fatboy Slim' Cook's real name is Quentin - a fact that tickles me to this day. The other thing that sticks in my mind about Mike, who came from Guildford, is he swore blind that the practice of sniffing the recently-vacated bicycle saddles of young ladies (and presumably old ones too, although I suspect their saddles are a little safer) is called Dorking. I wondered at the time if the practitioners of this dubious activity were called Leatherheads, but he wasn't sure.

The reason I raise this is that I seem to be offering a second image of a well-used Brooks bicycle saddle within a few days as my photograph of the day, and I'm wondering if this makes me some sort of dubious fetishist. I'll try to resist their photogenic charms from now on - although it won't be easy because dammit they're so easy on the eye!

No comments: