Monday 20 April 2009

The garage roof files


My parents are contemplating moving from the house they've lived in since 1965. It's a big house and they brought up four kids there. Every room is stuffed with memories and junk in equal quantities and the prospect of separating the stuff to keep from the stuff to dump is an awful one. So we offered to help. This weekend we tackled a relatively easy job - clearing out hundreds or maybe even thousands of old medical files stored above the garage. It was easy in the sense that nothing needed to be kept, so there was none of the agonizing I expect there will be elsewhere in the house. But it wasn't particularly easy to actually retrieve the boxes of files and get rid of them. I think my back's going to let me get away with the hard work - I'd usually expect it to have started hurting by now if it was going to - but I did have my doubts a few times as I staggered backwards down the ladder carrying yet another box of files. There were about 20 boxes altogether, packed with detailed case notes from decades of patient care. They really were quite heavy.

Incidentally, in case you were wondering, there is no significance to the coat hanger on the washing line. I like to think it adds something enigmatic and a little surreal to the image, but that's probably just me making the best of a bad shot.

No comments: