Tuesday 21 April 2009

Old-school perch



I saw this magnificent saddle at lunchtime today on a handyman's bike leaning against a railing on Holland Road. It looks like his arse has been shaping it for years - I love the little paintspots.

As the proud owner of no fewer than four bicycle saddles, all of which are skinny and very light, I can't really relate to the Brooks springy armchair experience, although I imagine once you've gone through the pain of breaking one in you'd never want to change it - and you wouldn't have to very often because they last forever. But I can't help wondering why anyone's prepared to go through that slow, expensive and painful process when there are cheaper alternatives that are comfortable straight out of the box, don't go all soggy when it rains, and look just as nice on your bike if you ask me.

Actually, I think I do understand it - there's something appealing about the idea of a beautifully-crafted
old fashioned perch that's been gently persuaded over weeks of painful use to mould itself to your backside. But that's where it stops for me - at the idea stage. They do look nice though don't they?

No comments: